Thread: Tracking the A8
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #13
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
My brother has an A8 CTS-V, I've driven it multiple times, as well as a few Z06's. Manual mode is slow to react, Gretchen can say whatever they want, if you are tracking for time, not leasure, you want to leave it in drive. Drive will do a better job, and react quicker, but that generates more heat. Manually shifting the A8 is easier on the tranny, but slower. I have been running autocross and the Runoffs for years, I spend lots of time at the track and the better drivers all have had issues with temperatures in their A8's, and manual mode will 100% slow a good driver down...GM tells you to use manual mode, not to engine brake, etc, etc, to keep tranny temps in check. GM also recommends a manual for track use, I was told that from multiple C7 engineers at Sebring. Go check out the SCCA boards, all the hardcore guys tracking Z06's are running manuals, some traded in their A8's to get one. The A8 is a great tranny for daily driving, and even drag racing. But it simply is not suited for hard track running...
OK so you did get the Z06 into limp mode with an overheated tranny while using auto mode and auto mode in your experience was better that manual mode for track times. Got it. Just compiling information for my next purchase.