View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #41
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
Brembo Brake Upgrade!

i have spent my summer away from China and that means away from my Camaro too. While I was back in the states I enjoyed my time in the Z4 I keep there. I got around to 3 autocross events and a road trip to Maine. The 133K mile BMW didn't miss a beat! Now that I am back in Beijing it is time to play with the Camaro again!

Yesterday I went to get the oil changed and the transmission fluid flushed and changed, put on new windshield wipers and oiled the drivers side window mechanism. I also replaced an ageing Detroit sticker... Mundane stuff.

The big upgrade of the season is the ATS Brembo front brakes I put on. After a few days of finding all the right pieces and tools I just finished installing the Cadillac ATS Brembo front brakes on my Camaro a few hours ago. I bought the set from ZZ Performance and it was sent to my house in Michigan much sooner than quoted and everything I needed was in included package. Bringing it into China I was so worried that customs would check my bags so I had packed them in my carryon... Fun fact time! In China only authorized companies are allowed to import car parts, individuals are not. My friend had his racing simulator shipped from England and customs confiscated the seat because it looked like a car part.

The Brembo brakes are a direct replacement but for some reason the banjo bolts on my callipers were too big. In my research I have never come across another person with that problem but after calling in some favours with my good friend he had a pair of banjo bolts overnighted to me from a Cadillac dealer.

While it is not really a difficult procedure to do in a driveway I was fortunate enough to have my father-in-law as well as all 3 of my wife's uncles give me hand today with the installation. They are all very good with mechanical things and have much more experience than I do (growing up in the Cultural Revolution had its benefits) so I let them do most of the tricky parts like bleeding the brakes and checking the lines. Plus they honestly like doing jobs like that. Only downside is today it was like 95 and 100% humidity. I will shower 3 times today.

Like I said earlier, these brakes are a direct replacement from the stock GM single piston sliding callipers. I just unscrewed the 2 bolts to take the calliper off, disconnected the brake line, and did everything in reverse with the new parts. The dust shield needed to be trimmed to fit the bigger calliper as well. I also flushed and changed my brake fluid while I was at it.

Most V6'ers want to upgrade their brakes to the SS 6-pistons or better, but for me this option was the best. First it was very cheap- $350 for all brand new parts including the Power Stop brake pads and shipping. Second, I get to keep the rotors and stainless steel brake lines that I invested in. 3. Most important I could take them in my suitcase and not risk having them confiscated or have pay over 100% tax importing them legally. We'll see how they work after the pads are bedded in. I am hoping that I will have the best stopping Camaro in Beijing!!

Now what mod is next... any ideas? Headers? LSD differential- can I fit any of that in a carryon suitcase?
Attached Images

rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote