View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #45
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
pat
over at Corvette Forum, they came up with the "Ranger Method " of changing the clutch fluid. It basically involves extracting as much as you can from the reservoir with a large syring and a thin plastic tube. You then fill the reservoir, you pump your clutch 25 to 30 times, which mixes the new fluid with the nasty stuff still in the clutch reservoir.
Repear step one with the syringe/tube...
Pump clutch...
Repeat step 1..as many times as needed until the fluid is pristine,

It takes like 3 or 4 times per car for me for me to do the procedure. I make sure my clutch fluid in both cars is pristine at all times; as I do this every 500 to 700 miles...shoot thats easy as it's every 10 to 14 weeks (40-50 miles per week on one or the other).

Any questions..I posted a thread on Camaro 5 this section with pictures, and a search for "Ranger Method " over on the Corvette Forum yielded this:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...er-method.html

Cheers Mate! Below is how I do both my Z/28 and Z06.

Procedure Posted below

Here is my latest design that seems to work best for me. I replaced the needles with some tubing as it allows for better flow.

These are 60CC Syringes.

The one on the left is used to remove (suck out) bad material from the clutch reservoir. I stuck a small piece of small engine gas line into it to extend the end.

The one on the right is used to inject new fluid. I found access to some tubing that has connections that screw directly into the syringe. The short piece I use to extract good fluid from the Dot 4 Brake fluid container. Once I fill the syringe with new fluid, I change tubes to the black tube. I invert the syringe and pump material to remove air. I insert the long black tube down into the reservoir feed tube at the bottom of the clutch reservoir (small hole at the bottom). Once I insert it all the way in, I inject the good material in, it then pushes the bad fluid up into the reservoir, thus cleaning out the fluid line. I then remove the material from the reservoir, and refill with good fluid. If you can't find the tubing that screws into the syringe (medical supply), then you can try the small engine gas line.

Again, the intent is to remove as much as possible all of the clutch fluid. This basically eliminates the pumping one needs to do with Rangers original method, and for me, does a better job of changing out the fluid. The only way to better change the fluid is to have the system bled.

Steps:

1) Use syringe to suck out fluid from reservoir (just like the ranger method)
2) Fill second syringe with new fluid.
3) Install long black tube on syringe that is filled with new fluid.
4) Invert syringe and squeeze some fluid out to purge out air from the black tubing (just like the nurse before she/he jabs ya).
5) Insert long black tube down the hole located in the bottom of the reservoir
6) Inject new fluid into clutch fluid feedline. Old fluid gets pumped up into reservior.
7) Pull out the syringe and black tube.
8) Use the removal syringe to suck the bad fluid from reservoir that used to be down in the feedline.
9) Fill reservoir with fresh fluid to fill mark.
10) Clean-up

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote