View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #33
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Cast rims don't have the same issues as forged rims. Cast rims you can do regular powder coats on, but forged rims (our OE rims) go through a delicate annealing process during construction.

While your powder coater says he runs 300 degrees for 12 minutes, what he means is that he runs the substrate at 300 degrees for 12 minutes. When you stick a wheel in a 300 degree oven, it takes a long time before the deepest part of the aluminum gets up to temperature (think of how a steak or burger cooks, outside is done while center can still be cool). So the wheel will still see hours worth of time in the oven.

The difference is in temp. Once you get the wheel above 400 degrees, you are essentially starting another annealing process. This is bad as too much annealing makes the wheel brittle. You want to keep any powder coating of forged rims under 300 degrees.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote