View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFreak626 View Post
Car has been tuned a day after mods and I might want to check my air filter which is probably the only thing I have not done. I've checked all hoses and plugs were just changed out.
If it ran perfectly after being tuned, something has changed. An unstable idle is often on the intake side.

I'd take a close look at the the entire CAI and PCV. Is the air filter old...replace. Pull out the MAF, disconnect. Get a close look inside the MAF with a light, make sure the hot wire sensor is not all fuzzed up. Reinstall, reconnect MAF.

I'd take the CAI pipes off, reinstall - retighten. Just to make sure no leaks on the intake side. When off, you can also peek at the throttle blade, throttle body and make sure it is not uber carbon'd up. A lot of carbon around the throttle blade can cause an unstable idle.

A good clue on the PCV side is.... get the engine fully warmed up and idling. Pop the oil cap off quick. There should be a brief little stumble/change and then resettling of the idle. If you can pop the oil cap off without any noticeable little change in the idle... the PCV system is not sealed.

An over-oiled air cleaner can cause these probs. Mucks up the MAF.

I'd start with all those CAI, MAF, and PCV checks. Keep in mind tuning doesn't change.... If it ran perfectly after initially tuned.... and now doesn't, something has gone wrong.

Decel fueling, popping or no popping can be adjusted in the tune. After LTs and CAI, mine was tuned for no popping and it never has. Just a slight burble on decel. Not a single backfire since I loaded a tune from Ted at JRE. Which is exactly what I wanted. To me... backfiring sounds like a clunker that the muffler fell off.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote