View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #114
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
LOL, you use 2 terms that really clash with one another.

Max RWHP and relatively safe.

I see the LS3 crowd making well over 700 at the wheels. Very very impressive. Will it do that for a long time safely? Not in my opinion.

There is a guy on the Cadillac forum who is putting down 830 to the wheels with his CTS-V. Do I think that will last? No I don't. It's impossible to predict how people are going to drive these cars. Do I think that I could make 750 at the wheels and make it last? Being the optimist (and dreamer) that I am and knowing how I drive I would say yes it should hold up for awhile.

The problem is that there are novices out there who get all caught up in the bigger is better syndrome. Everyone now days want a dyno queen that will make 900 horsepower. Never mind that they could not use more than 500 at the wheels if their life depended on it. How many of your friends have a street car with over 800 horsepower at the wheels? I run in some pretty fast crowds and I can only count them on one hand. The cars are a pain in the butt to drive once you reach the higher power levels.

The actual number of people who will want that power is very low. Then the number of people who will actually build a car to use that power is even less as a percentage. Most high horsepower cars that I have seen sell have ended up wrecked because the new owner didn't realize the dynamics involved.
Who knows, maybe GM will step up and reconfigure the LSA. Don’t hold your breath.

Robin
Good post!
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote