View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
ive done a lot of research on this subject after having a lifter get stuck.... our motors are factory built with some pretty tight clearances ..
with that said when i had my motor rebuilt all clearances were opened up .oo5... i also opted to go with the melling 355(cuz iwanted new )with the high pressure spring along with plugging the oil pan bypass ..we also did away with the piston oil squirters because my motor is fully forged and stroked now.. .. i feel i should be good to go from here on out..

the ls engine family is known for these dam lifter/oiling and clearance issues... but its not every motor ..i have a few .. but from my experience and research.. its very important to keep good clean oil in these motors. and i would not go with a thicker oil if anything i would go thinner to help with volume and flow... another thing is oil temperature ... s/c motors demand a lot from the oil and abuse the shit out of it ..

the dart next block is designed with better oiling if that tells u anything.. i know the sbc world wasnt this picky when it came to its oiling...and last but not least is the oil filter .. the oil filters we use also have by pass when they get to a certain amount of back pressure which then bypass's the filter and lets unclean oil thru the motor.. wix makes a non bypass filter and is what i wll be using.. just need to watch oil pressure closely and temp. i will be upgrading my oil cooler as well..

the lsa oil pump is generated towards more volume and apparently gm isnt concerned with high pressure as the pan regulates the pressure to around 50-55psi.. you have to remember there is a lot of travel and expected coverage for the oil when u have 8 piston squirters so i would think high volume is as important as high pressure in an lsa..

that oil filter chart above is correct .. i spoke with melling a month ago and confirmed the chart and percentages.

Last edited by xdamxincx; 10-22-2020 at 07:53 PM.
xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote