View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #16957
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimazo View Post
They couldn't sell the less than 2000 they made in '2014-'15, so why would this one be any different? Again, where is the business case that has to be made for anything before being put into production? Do the bean-counters at GM think they need another $75k Camaro? To compete with what?

The truth is, track times don't sell sh!t, HP does. Witness the ENDLESS hype the Hellcat has had, and the roughly 25,000 units sold in just 2yrs. That is a *huge* success, and from a 9yr old design with an ancient chassis platform.
The Z/28 was a great way to sell 1LEs. GM essentially had 2 options for getting people to buy the 1LE. They could either dump a ton of cash on a marketing campaign to get the word out about the existence of a package that few knew about 20 years ago ... let alone today. Or, bring in the ultimate track Camaro. Let it steal the spotlight and draw people into the showroom. If they buy one, great. If they balk at the price, hey look over here ... its called a 1LE, for half the cost you can get yourself 90% of the thrill.

Welcome to the world of halo cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote