View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
the majority of the late 4th gen camaro's I've seen, have serious condensation issues in the headlights..(that or the plastic is bad quality and deteriorates over time?) i'm not exactly sure..
but..what is the reason for this exactly?, I notice it in a lot of the old 3rd gens as well, not sure about the early 4th gen - just the late 4th gen.
the main reason I notice it, is because they're so big, another reason- headlights are something I really tend to look at, at night, to determine what kind've car it is zooming up behind me, and when the headlight windows are of bad quality on the 4th gen, I usually cannot tell what kind've car it is until its right up next to me. when they are clean/clear I can usually pinpoint almost exactly its either a 4th gen, or a concorde.
due to the circular view of them, and the light slightly bleeding over into the brights section of the headlights. (oddly enough i've never seen a 4th gen with its brights on)

is there a quick fix for this issue?..or is it something that happens so often/costs so much to fix - that its not worth it?.
I personally would want those things to be crystal clear - i hate driving with foged up headlights - my '98 taurus' lights are starting to get that way, but its because the quality of the headlight shield thingy is starting to go bad.
probably because I've had to use the brights so often the past year & a half.
I honestly don't know.
but the reason I ask this - is because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 5th gen along down the line...so I've considered the 4th gen.
gfx would of course be a must.
but yeah - any information regarding the headlights would be awesome
Its not condensation.....its the plastic itself losing its clarity. Its common on plastic headlights for some reason on all makes and models, not just the 4th gen camaro. All thats required to make it clear again is to polish it. Replacing them is expensive. I've had the problem on Volvos, Mercedes and my 4th gen Camaro and I've also seen it on Mustangs,F150s and Tauruses. I don't know if its caused by UV rays or what. If thats what is causing it then you may be able to spray some clear coat(same as over the paint) over them either before they fog up or after repolishing them and it should prevent it. It only happens on headlight housings that are plastic. The cars that still use the glass sealed beams don't have this problem. If they fog up its because a rock has chipped the glass and moisture has gotten inside.In that case it IS condensation.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote