View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #77
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Hate to admit it but he's sooo right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizz View Post
Wow I wonder how much they paid for that advertising plug.

Seriously, I'm tired of all these ridiculously priced so called tuner packages that shave off barely 1 second off stock times etc.

NO Camaro, not even the Z28 should EVER exceed $45k period.

This package is essentially:
stripes
shifter
bolt on part for engine.

Not worth 64k imo.

So yeah I'm done with the "special" packages.

Mcd's Happy Meals have and hold more value.

Right on the money!! (pun intended)

Let's see:

1) The STREET LEGAL PERFORMANCE (SLP for short) package does bring the output horsepower up to 575HP, at an added cost of USD$23,000.00-- over the cost of an SS model YET only gains 0.3 secs on the 0-60 dash and 0.4 secs on the quarter mile.

2) CALLAWAY can get you as high as 572hp. They offer several modifications options yet the minimal required to improve your times are the engine supercharger package valued at USD$16,000.00-- (which includes a sensible accessory package besides the supercharger itself) and the suspension kit which they sell for about UD$3,000.00--.

So a USD$19,000.00 expense increase over the stock gets you 0.5 secs quicker to 60mph and 0.7 sec faster in the quarter mile with CALLAWAY.

Hardly an astonishing bargain for THAT increased acceleration and horsepower.

I only referred to these two companies because of their well earned reputation for quality and craftmanship, which I have sampled myself in the past, out of many more equally reputable outfits out there which are yet offering only similar results in their own performance packages.

The explanation for these humble increases lies in part in the fact that in stock form the CAMARO is already a car that delivers top performance per dollar ratio. Period.

The LS3 and the TREMEC TR6060 is one heck of an engine transmission package.

In the dollar vs. gains equation you'll probably extract more benefit, vis-a-vis the money spent, from adding basic bolt-ons such as headers, high flow cat-converters and exhaust system, and a revised ECU mapping, and from suspesion components than to spend hard cash in a complex after market modification package, unless that half a second at the quarter mile mark or in the 0-60 really is truly meaningful to you (as in sanctioned drag racing).

swizz got it right: you'll ge better value in a Happy Meal from Ronald's house!!