View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #27
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Not a chance of that happening. GM has too much money invested in the program. Not just Camaro, but other cars built on the same Zeta platform. GM would have to say cancel the much too common SUV Gas gussling "family car". Camaro is very respectable regarding fuel usage. GM is showing the world that you can have appealling performance as well as respectable fuel economy. How can that be considered the "wrong message"? I would be damn proud to claim 300 HP and 27 MPG. As it is I will have to settle for 422+ HP with 23 MPG.
The business term is “Sunk Money”. This is money that is already spent and can not be returned. If it was the right thing to do GM would shut down the Camaro program and not be concerned with the money already spent. This is done all the time, where a million plus dollar machine is bought and a month later a company shuts down that division and literally scraps the machine or sells it for pennies on the dollar. Now with that said, I believe CWIweldance is on the right track. GM has designs on many future models based on this new rear wheel design. I agree that with 27MPG, GM, and for that fact all three US manufacturers, have several other models with much worse mileage that would get shut down before the Camaro program. Finally, not just because I am a Camaro Gen 5 fan (and soon to be owner), I believe when the V8 vs. V6 sales ratio does invert like GM believes it will, an overwhelming number of the sales will be the higher MPG vehicles which, along with the Camaro’s great looks, is what America is looking for. “Long live the Camaro!”
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote