View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
If this is right, I'll play your game Catia....(in fun, relax and don't get to mad at me fore being honest).

Here is an example because it's close to my heart/ownership. The RX8 is not a large car nor is it a small car, the backseat is actually pretty good compared to most 2+2's (other than the GTO which beats it hands down but no longer is sold).

My RX8 is a 2+2 and comes in at 2950-3050 depending on options, my version is the 2950 pound version. It has 4-5 star crash rating all around, has duel front, side, and curtain over protection. So, it is light and protects its passengers (while having little doorlits as I call them). So, this is one example and remember it comes in at 25K. No, its not as fast as the lovely new Camaro will be and the Camaro is larger overall (while the backseat is still a question). BUT...it's more than possible if you make weight a priority when you are building the car.

With that said, it's unique rotary engine is a gas hog and makes only 232HP while there is talk of the future DI rotary helping things out. Remember, EPA says it gets 16/22 so the new Camaro will be better than that I hope.

It's possible friend, and cost feasible if done right. It takes effort and not a lazy approach to keeping weight down. I know it wont be Vette light, as it shouldn't at it's price point and with 2 seats in the back, but 800 pounds more than the Vette (IF, IF, IF, IF this information is right) is excessive.

The target should have been at least 3500 V6 and 3700 V8, so it's about 200 pounds too heavy in both regards. That would have been a realistic goal to reach for while I personally would have wanted even lighter.

Also, I'm not an engineer nor work for GM so my solutions would be basic. It can be done...if you care enough about it and pay attention to each area of the car being built. Saving even 5% in weight in every area will yield a big difference in a 3000+ pound car.

Relax...I'm stating my opinion, I love the look and I really like GM but if this is true I'm sorry but I am disappointed in the weight...I'd hate to be a fan boy or a YES MAN. Not saying you are, but I know for sure I am not and I think it better fits GM to have an honest opinion.

BUT FOLKS!!!! LET'S WEIGHT TILL MONDAY WHICH I'LL BE AT WORK CRYING THAT I CAN'T LISTEN IN!!!