View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #136
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Ah, but they did for the M6 V6. My Aisin AY-6 is rated at 273 lb-ft. But the engine output of the LLT is 278 lb-ft in the Camaro. Will that small amount of extra torque cause any issues?
I doubt it, it seems though that automatics have a small leniency by using converters. I have also heard that, depending on where the transmissions are made, the rating system is different. It looks like foreign manufacturer's use a "max. torque capacity" which is a sustained torque rating. Those are usually companies that do not recognize "torque" as a unit of measurement but instead use Newton meter's.

It is all the same though, a Maximum engine torque rating would be measured higher where a torque capacity would be measured by force/time. One would be more "real world" like a Dynojet vs. a Mustang dyno.. just two different test...

Edit: That means, your transmission could have a maximum engine torque rating of 550, because your engine only operates at peak torque for a few milliseconds per shift. But the torque capacity would be much lower because the capacity to do so would reduce the engines life... Has anyone ever had a friend that drove home drunk in 2nd or 3rd gear? He tested his transmissions sustained torque rating...

Last edited by thePill; 02-21-2011 at 01:52 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote