Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
My answers are in blue below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicadepueblo View Post
Hello Everyone,
So today I was told by the service manager at my local chevy dealership that my car was going to need a brake job within the next 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Now with that said I now have questions before I make a decision concerning what to do. First a little background info for my car. I am the second owner and currently the car has 36,204 miles on it. I think the car has the original brake rotors and pads. I do drive fast but have not dragged/ raced the car and done any hard braking. So here are my questions.

1. If these are the original rotors is it better to replace them or can they be re-surfaced and reused?

Honestly I wouldn't re-surface or turn the rotors in these car. With that being said it doesn't mean that it can't be done it's just something I wouldn't do to my camaro.

2. What brake pads should I go with aftermarket or OEM? Again I do not race the car yet. lol

The OEM brake pads are quite good but if i was looking at replacing pads i would look at the Hawk Ceramics in your car. They will stop very similar to OEM just give you a lot less dust. and they aren't very highly priced if you shop around.

3. If I have to replace the rotors which rotors should I get. The drilled/slotted rotors are awesome but I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible. (I'm a school teacher and I'm trying to get ready for the start of the school year. So that unfortunately is also taking some of my cash flow away!)

Like stated above if you ever plan on racing I wouldn't recommend getting a Drilled rotor since they do have a tendency of cracking under pressure. I have Drilled rotors but i never plan on racing just stimply wanted it for the look.

4. How much do you think brake pads, new rotors, and labor would cost me?

I just upgraded my brakes to R1 Drilled and Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads and spent a little under 100 a corner. Love the way it turned out. But since your an SS it will be slightly higher than the V6 brakes. Labor shouldn't be to bad since it can be done in under an hour by anyone that has the tools ready and knows what they are doing. Took me around an hour and half but I had to go and scavenge for the right tools in the garage

If anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

All the best,
Roberta
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote