View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
For ideal performance, one doesn't want the air temperature to be too warm, as engine performance will suffer. Cool dense air is desirable. The ideal air temperature for engine performance is probably between 45 and 60 degrees F. Temperatures any colder than 45 degrees F will make it difficult for the tires to hook. A sunny day will help warm the track surface.

A high barometric pressure also helps improve performance, and low humidity is also desired. When the Density Altitude is 0 feet or less, the conditions are very favorable.

And, of course, proper track preparation is essential as well.
I think it was like 44 degrees. And we don't know what time of day it was and if the tires had been warmed up at all. Yeah, my experience has always been that cold fresh air was better than hot air for engine performance! Combustion is much improved with more oxygen and less humidity! Ever try lighting a damp match? LOL

More tests shall come. I respect the Boss for it's intended purpose. It just so happens that the ZL1 suits many more purposes and does all well! Superbly as a matter of "reported fact.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote