View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 09:41 AM   #35
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
People supporting ev's here don't live in cold northern states where temps in the winter can become well below 32 degrees. Lithium batteries do not charge well or not at all below 32. This greatly restricts where ev's are practical.
It’s 3 degrees in Detroit as I type this. My Tesla Model Y is in the garage charged to 80% (262 miles). It’s charged to 80% because I limit the charge to 80%. It’s way more than I need for everyday driving. For travelling I’ll charge to 100%

No issues charging it in the cold. This is my first winter with it, but fact of the matter is, many many people in this area have had Teslas through multiple winters. I would also point out that Teslas are even more popular in Canada than in the US. Go figure.

There is no doubt that I will not see all of the 262 miles driving it in the cold. There is also no doubt that I won’t need even half of it, so no worries on my part. It’s also true that all of my gas cars get lower mileage in winter because of fuel blend differences in the winter plus heating losses. Not a big deal because I can always find a gas station. Likewise, with the Tesla, I can always find my garage.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote