View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #74
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Rogue, I agree that this brake setup is a bit over the top for anyone less than all-out racers, but check out this thread over in the Road Course/Driving Techniques forum:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=17

Brian claimed he took his SS to the track last week for a few test sessions, and totally lost the brakes his second session in. The car was a week old. Then he flushed the fluid, went out again, and only lasted three sessions before the brakes gave out again.

Plenty of us attend HPDE track days, and the last thing you want is to be worrying about brake management. I figured with the stock Brembos, the SS would be track-ready right off the showroom floor, but now it seems you at least have to upgrade to high-temp DOT 4 brake fluid. I'm sure we'll learn more as others take their cars to the track.

BTW, my brakes almost went to the floor this past Monday at Watkins Glen, when I was braking HARD from 130 mph down to about 90 for the "Bus Stop" at the end of the back straight. And I went to the track with fresh fluid and HPS pads. Not a good feeling. Next time, I'll use the ATE Super Blue fluid.

Here's a lap at the Glen when the brakes were okay:

HPS pads really aren't made for track days, but I imagine you could make them live for a little while. Maybe a different Hawk pad just for the front at a HPDE would be a good idea? ATE Super Blue is good stuff! There's even a place in my area that stocks it. Thanks for the vid.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote