View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #59
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Yup. That's exactly my point. As much as we might not have liked the old "Corvette has to get it first" days, it is even more prevalent with regards to Cadillac and the rest of GM. Thankfully, Camaro doesn't have to "dumb down" for Corvette anymore, but EVERYBODY has to step aside for Cadillac exclusive bits. The 3.0TT...the 3.6TT...now the 4.2TT.

There is always the possibility that Corvette and/or Camaro could get a different variant of the same engine family, but I think it is highly unlikely that this engine as discussed in Wednesday's CT6 V-Sport reveal finds its way into anything without a Cadillac crest.
That has definitely been the history. BUT, the rules have been changing. Camaro no longer has to have significantly dumbed down engines in comparison to the Corvette. That rule changed. And Cadillac's "exclusive" engines aren't selling worth a crap in comparison to their competition (BMW and Mercedes). That strategy hasn't worked. So that rule may be torn up soon too.

Also, this new Cadillac "exclusive" engine is being built in the Bowling Green facility that up until now only made Corvette stuff. Why would GM add on to the Bowling Green plant to make a Cadillac engine? Well, because they are also going to produce a mid-engine Corvette, and because the 5.5L version of the DHOC TT engine will go into the mid-engine 'vette. I'm not sure if the first engine for the mid-engine car will be TT or N/A, but it's clear that the 4.2L DHOC TT part of the rumor has turned out to be true, and it has some ties (the plant) to the Corvette.

So we are seeing hints that Cadillac may not be as exclusive in the past. Perhaps Cadillac will be the only division that will see the 4.2L engine. Perhaps the 5.5L will be Chevy exclusive. Perhaps not. We shall see, but in the meantime, GM is quietly ramping up to produce an engine that may be perfect for a Z/28. The N/A version of the 5.5L DHOC may end up going into the Z/28 first, then the mid-engine car will debut with the TT version of that engine.

The rules have been changing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Z/28 with one of these new engines sooner or later.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote