View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
okra
2002 Camaro V6 T-Top

Drives: 2002 Camaro
2002 Camaro sloppy steering

Hi All,
I have a 2002 Camaro, V6 with T tops. Bought the car for $4000 and have added about another $3000 in suspension and tire upgrades.

Things I have done so far:
-new BF Goodrich tires G-Force Comp 2 245/50ZR16 97W, all balanced on OEM chrome mags
-Changed all bushings to Moog Rubber in the Front Upper and Lower Control Arms, and Rear Control Arms
-Changed all Front Ball Joins to Moog
-Changed both Outer Tie Rod Ends to Moog
-Changed front Sway Bar to used Edelbrock (fat and meaty), new poly Energy end-links. Used poly bushings on front sway bar. They are in excellent condition. Greased with Silicon grease
-Changed rear Sway Bar to QA1 (fat and meaty), with provided QA1 end-links and poly bushings. Greased with Silicon grease.
-Changed pan hard rod in rear with QA1, greased there provided poly bushings with silicon.
-Changed rear bearings on solid axel. Some wear was noted, but seems to be Okay. Oil changed on diff.
-Changed front springs to Moog SS Camaro. Unfortunately choose V8 springs, front sits about 1" higher then rear, but spring suspension is nice, tight and firm.
-Changed rear springs to Moog Heavy Duty
-Changed front and rear shocks to Koni Orange
-Changed the steering rack and power steering pump. OEM GM PS fluid.
-Changed the Intermediate shaft between steering rack and steering wheel. I bought it used as I could not find new, but it seems to have zero sloop and made a significant difference when I changed it.
-Changed front brake rotors and pads
-Changed rear pads

The car rides NICE, corners on a dime. Problem is, from when I bought the car it had a very serous shake problem with I hit the brakes on the highway, and I am unsure how long the car was driven with that problem. It might have been stressing the steering ALOT for a long time. This might be why I got the car for so cheap. I assumed the front rotors were warped. I changed the front brake rotors and pads and the shake problem entirely went away forever. Yeah.

Second problem, ever since I bought the car, it wonders on the highway, even after multiple alignments. It always comes back front the alignment shop where they say the suspension is tight and straight, but it still wonders on the highway with a little gap in the center steering wheel as I drive. It's not a huge gap, but.... I don't like it and I can't go really fast without wandering. I assume I am looking at some kind of warn suspension component that still allows the car to be aligned when still, but wonders when driving.

Third issue, that car did have a front end accident many years ago and the front bumper was changed. It was only $1500 damage. Found this out on CarFacts.

Question, is this something I will need to live with or is it fixable? The car DOES ALIGN on the alignment rack.

Things I was thinking of doing:
-Checked the front wheel bearings by jacking up the car and rocking the wheels front top to bottom. Change if needed.
-Installing bolt and then weld-in subframe connectors as the car is a T-Top and "maybe" I am dealing with flex in the frame due to the car being over 20 years old.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated
okra is offline   Reply With Quote