View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Talking Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
If OP did what they stated, and appears so in their pic, then Vicster is correct. And a bad idea in my opinion, because it does not resolve the issue for the direct injected engine. Valve coking, not crankcase pressure, being the issue. Besides, nothing has changed except fresh unmetered air is now being pulled in from the oil filler breather and small breather. The hose that was cut from the intake tube is the fresh air feed into the engine. Originally, fresh metered air, since it is after the MAF sensor, would enter the engine and then be circulated through the crankcase, pulling dirty air into the intake manifold. If you take the engine cover off, you will find a hose on top of the intake. This hose is the vacuum side from the crankcase for the PCV. This is where you should put a catchcan and undo your breather modifications. If you did leave your breathers, then block off the vacuum line on top of the intake manifold. But this will not allow the dirty air in the crankcase to be removed. It will just vent with any pressure, but keep the vapors (acids, blow by, water) in the crankcase and will condense back into the oil. As of your setup right now, nothing has changed, except your sourcing your air differently for the PCV. Btw, I use the CFM breather at the oil filler. It has a "check" valve, so it doesn't pull in unmetered air, yet will allow air out if crankcase pressure becomes excessive. And a catchcan on the dirty side. Different engine, same principle.
Thank You,
I let the system in my car operate as much as the engineers designed but, modify it were needed. I am running a McNally catch can and it does make a world of difference.

OP, do some research and see what people have done and what works for your engine. BadBubba makes some good and valid points.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote