View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #924
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
None of the pins pushed back in the underdash ALDL connector you had the tuner plugged in to? Shine a light in there. Mine shows 4 pins on the top row and 4 on the bottom row. If any of the pins in that connector get pushed back and shorted against another pin, that can cause problems.

The MIL circuit wire is brown and white. I would look at all electrical connectors touched during the install and see if there is a brown w/white stripe wire. Since your ECM is able to turn the MIL light on, it's not an open in that circuit. I don't have the service manual in front of me, but it will show which connector pin out of the ECM that circuit is. The next steps will be to disconnect that ECM connector and then probe that circuit for shorts to power or ground. With that ECM connector disconnected, and the key on, the MIL lamp should not come on. If it does come on, that circuit is shorted to power somewhere. The MIL should only be able to come on with the ECM connectors connected.

I would only dig into these wiring checks with the service manual page for P0650 in front of you, and go step by step in the diagnostics for P0650.

Since it has P0650 and a driveability problem, I'd plug in the tuner and set it up to watch the data while it is idling. Make sure all the sensors are showing data, MAF, IAT, O2s... if you see a sensor with blank data, that could be a hint to a problem. Just P0650 by itself shouldn't cause a driveability problem, that is only the circuit to the MIL lamp. So that circuit must be shorted to something important, like a sensor. Or the ECM may have gone bad. The service manual will take you through the proper circuit checks, if the MIL circuit checks out, it will say - replace ECM.

Last edited by Russell James; 01-19-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote