View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #154
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
Yes - I am going to drive around the water next time. I should of hit you guys up with some questions before I hit the track. Not much experience here - but fun as hell!!
Hi Speed,
Driving around the water box will help a LOT with street tires. Like rpepka said, the water gets in the tread and makes the launch off the line suck as the tires will have a puddle beneath them at the starting line.

Spin the tires (burnout) to clean them off. It's not going to matter how long you do your burnout with the street tires. I would recommend a short burnout ) 3 seconds or less unless you want to replace the rear tires really quickly.

With Drag slicks, you do the burnout to get some heat into the tire and clean them. A longer burnout makes a difference with slicks - the rubber will get real gummy on a slick after the burnout and will help to hook up the car.

what RPM are you launching off the line at? you will want the lowest possible rpm that allows the tires to grab. I am guessing, but I would say somewhere around 1500 rpm or so and roll into the throttle to allow the tires to grab.

As far as Traction control, put the car into Competitive mode. this turns off traction control but keeps the active handling and ABS on in case you get out of control, it will save you from hitting the wall.

The above worked pretty well with my 2005 Corvette. I don't remember the times that one ran.

Your 60' time should be down around 1.8ish (at least) with street tires if you don't spin the tires. you could be lower than that, but with the 20" rim/tire combination I wouldn't expect much lower than that.

The 20's look good for the street, but will be terrible for drag racing or AutoX.

One of my other cars is a 1992 Camaro setup for drag racing. It has a 540CI engine making 900 HP on an engine dyno. Car is setup for Super street (best run to date is 9.57 at 148 MPH). 60' time is 1.57 with a 12" wide slick.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote