View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
redmuddman

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I don't care about looks either. I am talking about how much of a PITA it is to mount and dismount them.

The free lugnuts are junk, I really need to upgrade. The lug holes are recessed and the holes aren't large enough for a regular impact socket, let alone a socket with the protective plastic on it. They give you a thin wall chrome 3/8 drive socket that will work, but it will break if you use an impact. I ended up getting a thin wall impact socket from Amazon that fits, but it beats the piss out of the recessed holes. Again, I'm not as concerned with the looks, but it makes it harder to get the lugs on and off too.

Besides that, there is a phony plastic ring that you have to install on the wheel hub before mounting the wheels. It helps align the wheel so that you can get the lugnuts started. SO you have to install those with your race wheels and uninstall them when you go back to street tires. PITA.

If you don't get the new style Race star wheels with the knurled bead seat areas, then prepare to grind all of the powder coat off the bead sealing surfaces. My tires spun 2" on the wheel on every launch before I dismounted the tires and removed the powder coat. PITA.

All of those little things add up to me not recommending these wheels. If your budget will allow it, find some better wheels. If not, then be prepared to work a little bit harder every time you swap them out. I've swapped mine on and back off again about 10 times so far and I absolutely hate these wheels because of the increased hassle.

I really haven't looked at other wheels to determine which manufacturer makes a set I would like better. I'm going to run these this year and then try to find something better next year.
Thanks Zlathim that is really good info. From what i understand the Welds are about the only other 17'' wheel that will fit and they are at least twice as much money but maybe they are worth it
redmuddman is offline   Reply With Quote