View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Driving gloves are a thing of the past for everyday driving. But, if you've ever seen a true "leather-wrapped" steering wheel that's been used, the leather suffers. Even if it's a modern leather-wrapped wheel where the material is more plastic/synthetic than actual leather, this type of material breaks down, too. Sweat, dirt, and oils from hand skin eventually degrade the material, and it's made worse if you use any kind of hand lotion, or have any soap residue or anything on your hands. But, gloves aren't trouble-free either. Depending on the material, they could leach dyes or abraide the material depending on how you use your hands to drive.

That said, I think it's important to pick your battles. If you're truly worried about the wrap material on the steering wheel, sure, wear some kind of glove. It's your car. The only question is...do you care? Does it make you feel embarrassed, or do you feel good about it? Would you change your behavior if you knew in 10 years you could just have the wheel wrapped with new material, or buy a new wheel from GM?

I actually prefer plastic/urethane steering wheels for exactly this reason. As long as you don't palm the wheel (shuffle steer instead), they will look good almost forever!

If I was going to drive with gloves (I'm not going to, though)- I'd buy one of two things. One, an actual driving gloves. I'm sure someone still makes them, or in the same style. Alternatively, I'd buy a tactical glove- something that looks really modern/ cool. Mechanix gloves...probably not--i think they usually have bold lettering all over them, right?

If you're that worried, buy a steering wheel from an LS (urethane) and drive with that, and hang the suede one on the wall to look at, or for when you go to car shows.

Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote