View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Old Man LT

Drives: 2012 1LT V6
Old Man LT's 2012 V6 Journal

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my journal. It's going to be a slow start, but I promise to keep you all updated on my progress.

Preface:

Yesterday, I went car shopping. I had 3 cars in mind.
  • Challenger
  • Mustang
  • Camaro

I really, really, really wanted a Challenger, but couldn't find one in my budget. (~$20k) There was 1 in my area that was for sale so I rushed to the dealer with a bank check in hand ready to buy it and was informed that they could not sell it to me, due to the airbag recall on many Chrysler vehicles. Maybe next time.

I then went to a Ford dealer and took the same check for $19000 and tried to buy a 2010 Mustang GT Conv. with ~50k miles on it. IMO, the dealer was way overpriced at $23,900 so I offered 19 for it and was promptly laughed at. Not just a chuckle. A full on belly laugh like he thought I was crazy. He went "to check with the sales manager" while I stood there dumbfounded. I wait about 20 minutes and decide that they must not want to sell the car very badly, and so I left.

After stopping for a bite to eat and to gather my thoughts and form a plan, I decided that since I had never driven a Camaro, I didn't want to rule it out so I swung by my local dealer. They were very accomodating as I went over my parameters for buying. The car could not be over 3 years old with less than 35k miles on it and I needed the car for 19000 out the door. There was a 2013 black (or might have been charcoal grey) RS on the lot that I instantly knew I couldn't afford. They insisted I drive it, as they had a Camaro 1LT that was having the ignition recall fixed, so it couldn't be driven yet. I was told the performance would be similar to the RS, it just wouldn't have as many bells and whistles, which is fine by me. I am not pretentious and don't need all the creature comforts. As long as it has air conditioning and a kick ass radio, I'm good to go.

So we take the RS on probably the best test drive I've ever experienced. The salesman wasn't in a hurry to make a sale. He wanted to make sure I was satisfied with the experience and comfortable with the car before committing. We took the car around town, got it on the highway and he demanded I lay into it to see how the V6 felt. I felt like a kid again. I was more than happy with the acceleration, looks, feel of the steering and decided in that instant that I had to have a Camaro of my own. We began the process of completing the paperwork, and by the time the day was done, I had bought a 2012 Camaro 1LT in Inferno Orange Metallic. The car is now sitting at the dealer while they finish up the recall fix and program the new keys, give it a paint job (the right rear fender had some deep scratches that were down to the primer), and give it a good detail afterwards.

The journey begins.......

Here is a pic of the car that the dealer took when it was listed for sale. I bought the very same car in the picture.

And for good measure, a pic of the Mustang I got laughed at over..

Old Man LT is offline   Reply With Quote