View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 09:18 AM   #41
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Well, that would be typical California.....

I actually don't have an issue with EV's and do respect their use/potential. If I could afford one, I'd have a Lucid in the driveway for a daily. The reality however is that this is like trying to go from learning to walk to skipping directly to running... that is where my frustration/annoyance comes from.

Would really have liked to see more alternative choices being pursued rather than just watching companies waste time on a pure EV route that is simply too expensive for the average person to switch to.
I also think there was a bit of Tesla stock envy that drove a lot of GM and Ford's decisions and rush. And there still is as Tesla sales are only getting higher. Number 1 selling car in the world is the Tesla Model Y at 1.2 million units. Tesla stock is simply crazy nuts and I think Barra had high hopes going all in would do the same.

The other driver is simply China. China is over double the car market of the US and BYD just passed Tesla in EV sales and they are still selling only in China. And GM is mostly Hybrid or EV there.

Lastly, GM did Hybrids. FST and SUVs and the Volt and ELR. None sold great and I think that left a bad taste to try again. Stellantis is basically copying the Volt propulsion system for their new pickup powertrain.

And fully agree on the cost.