View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
There was a period in my life when I was living in Seattle (Capital Hill), and could take a single bus downtown where I worked. I didn't have a car at the time. I remained bus-bound for about 6 years. By then I was living in Greenlake (north of Seattle) and having to take 3 transfers to get to Kent (south of Seattle), taking about 1-1/2 hours each way...I finally got a car again.

Since then, I've always had a car to commute and prefer it that way. One of the reasons I got a car again was because I had to travel to Portland regularly to support offices there and elsewhere for remote terminals on the mainframe I ran. I could not have done that job if I didn't have a car.

My current job is a 2 minute walk from where I live (right next to the business). I still have my car, and use it for weekend driving and errands. Where I put 57000 miles on the car in a little over a year, I've put 1000 miles on it in the last 3 months.