View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #22
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I think a lot has to do with the firing order of each engine because the old 4.6 mod motors were designed to sound like the old 4.9 they replaced, they sounded good with upgraded exhaust but they never was a powerful threat to the LS1-3 gm engines which themselves have a much different firing order from the original chevy small blocks. Ford did change the firing order in the new 5.0 engines and they do not sound like the previous engines at all but more like a traditional american v8, I guess they felt power was more important than sound. And do not forget that ford equips the gt with shorty headers stock from the factory to get every bit hp out the engine to compete with the Camaro. GM could have emulated the ford sound but they knew we would not stand for that, so they just gave us a unique sound of our own.

Remember the rear cans on the SS has a unique resonance/drone eliminating design that makes the car really quiet until you get down on it. Just removing the cans sounds really great with no need for a cat-back in my opinion. The BEST sounding V-8 by a huge margin is the LS9 ZR1 Corvette which is LS3 based, so it's not without reason to assume that we can duplicate THAT sound in the Camaro with a little trial and error engineering.

I wonder what the LS based engines would sound like with a 180 degree exhaust headers like they run @ Daytona and Talladega super speedways on the nascar race engines which make them sound like the old Indy car V-8's from the turbo charged days. That WOULD be unique.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 01-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote