View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #73
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Sorry dragon eye I dont follow that logic the wiring etc will be there its going down the same assembly line why could they not have offered that option what could there extra cost be 200?
It's not the point. They don't just pick and choose when they run a car down an assembly line.

The pick a build combination....

a....1LT RS with stripes.
or a 2LT with stripes
or a 1LT with stripes and C&C
or a 1SS RS
or a 1SS with chrome rims
etc
etc
etc
etc
(you can imagine the hundreds of thousands...if not millions...of combos on the early Camaros)

For every possible trim + option combination there is a build code. The more build codes you have, the more complicated (potentially effecting quality), and expensive it gets to build a vehicle. So, they weigh the possible return on investment for every option. If it's not worth it, they don't offer it.

This is why offering the gauge pack and some options through the dealer is more effective for the less-popular options. Perhaps enough people are projected to want it that it might effect sales, but not enough to justify the production costs...well, they can still get them, but by going through the dealer; it doesn't effect the build combos.

Like I said...I'm no expert -- but that's how it is. The more options you offer, the more complex and expensive it gets to build. So they throw out less profitable options.