View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #119
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Done.

I have a couple tips:

1. Definitely do the "sucking" technique to make sure there are no leaks. I applied silicone, then sucked really hard , then I found the weak spots, filled them in with more, then sucked "medium strength" I guess to see if any more spots were thin/had voids and air pockets, then added more If I needed to.

I got "clear silicone" that is white and appears to dry clear, but I guess I used a ton and it stayed white lol.

2. I would NOT recommend washing out with water, this was the only frustrating and time consuming part.

It takes, 10 mins to get the bezels and lights out, 10 mins to cut the slits, 10 mins to install and bend the pieces, 10 minutes to center them, and 10 minutes to screw them down and silicone. All in all, about an hour. IF you dont put water in haha.

I used a blow dryer, the warming drawer of my oven, and sat them in front of a fan all night, and im 99% sure I got all the moisture out.

As for the centering process, I dont have a good enough flashlight, so what I did was, and some may not know this, but the Bulb harness on each tail, can separate from the car wiring harness and the tail light can still be pulled out of the bumper with the bulb in.

So I:

1. Installed just the bulb and base outside of the car
2. Positioned the aluminum piece and put blue painters tape on the tab
3. Put the light in the car, and put the wiring harness on half way (so it doesnt click, makes it easier to pull on and off)
4. Hit the unlock button on the fob and note where adjustment is needed.
5. Pull the harness off and slide the light out, lift up the tape, slide the piece over a few hairs and repeat the steps until its right.

Remember, you must stand in the center of the car, at least 10-20 feet back to be sure its centered, the perspective changes drastically depending on where you stand.

I thought the cutting would be the hardest, but it wasnt, it really doesnt matter where your cut is side to side, as long as its correct front to back, and big enough to slide the piece in.

I plasti dipped the outer face black, and left the inner shiny so the light can bounce around. I took one silver and one black and put the housings in the sun and could barely tell the difference, so I figured there is no down side to painting black, and it looks better IMO.

Below are pics of various views, in the shade, in the light, with the lights off, on, and brakes on.

First pic is one side done, but I hadnt centered them yet.
Last pic is in the sunlight with them off.

OP feel free to use any of my pics if you want to.

Thanks to savage for sending me the pieces!
Attached Images

Last edited by vroomapunk; 09-29-2013 at 11:18 AM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote