View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #38209
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
Hi Gang! Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying summertime cruising!

After seeing some of Jan's Camarofest posts on Facebook, I remembered C5 and that I have not been on here in a long time. Months ago, I took a break from some social media. Although C5 is a great place to hang out, and most of the people are great, I decided to take a break.

Still have my Camaro and my Caprice. Since it is so blazingly hot here, shows and cruises are not as frequent. Plus there is the possibility of monsoon season storms making a mess of things every evening.

However, I did sell my 2003 Dakota. It had 90K+ miles and the paint/clear was failing. My wife can no longer drive a stick, and my son cannot grasp how to drive one. Mechanically it was great, but not so much cosmetically. Plus it was not getting used much.

About the same time, my son blew up another Cavalier, so this time, we told him to spend some money and NOT buy a high mileage hoopty. We found him a very low mileage 2008 HHR LS. After much arm twisting, he finally opened his wallet and bought it. There was a bit of embarrassment with his mini-melt down in front of the seller. But he now has a reliable car that has not become another "hobby car" fixer upper for me.

In fact, I liked his HHR so much, I replaced the Dakota with a 2011 HHR LT. Not as low mileage as his, but it has been very well maintained. It looks better, has less mileage, and cost less than the selling price of my Dakota. My wife can drive it and loves it too. Some aftermarket wheels and tires are on the way for it.

My son's is silver, mine is dark silver. I'm sure people get a kick out of two HHR's in our driveway.

We recently drove the 2011 over 3600 miles from AZ to Tunnel Hill, GA and back for a family reunion. Gotta say, the trip there and back was more fun than the reunion (for the most part). I discovered Don Julio Reposado is WONDERFUL stuff!

Still work at the same place, going through yet another change / transition and becoming another company. I have grown used to and expect change at any time now. Amazing to see younger co-workers resist it, criticize it, and generally make work miserable. And I was told old people are resistant to change.

Otherwise, I am the same boring person that likes to shoot pictures of crap and post them online. Might be boring to others, but I kinda like it.

Anyway, I am alive and well (except for a broken heal bone) and kicking. I promise to check in from time to time now.
Attached Images