View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Ok i'm in...

This is a pic of me and one of the few other "english" speaking peeps on my rig. The big thing I'm leaning on is called the "stack." Some of you have seen one of these fairly recently, on the ocean floor during the Horizon event that was so publisized. I am a Subsea engineer, and I am responsible for making sure it is built correctly and works when it needs to, which in my case means I do most of the work...

The guy standing with me is Cut-Off... I can't pronounce his real name, he's Cajun, and most of the time I'm not sure he is speaking english. One thing I will say about him though, there has never to my knowledge been a person made that can swing a sledgehammer any harder and hit his target at will... He was helping me in Mexico one night, and we were trying to remove a flex joint. It is held on by 24- 3 1/4 inch bolts. They are torqued up with a hydraulic wrench... to several thousand (4350)ft/lbs of torque... he was in a riding belt, hanging from a tugger and I was holding the rope... I hurt people and damage things when I swing a sledge hammer so...I was holding the rope to the Cameron hammer wrench, and he has one foot resting on the side of the flex joint... He winds up and sssssssssBoom... direct strike... but, he was swinging bodily away from the strike... in a 270 degree arc, toe taps the other side of the flex joint, and comes back around sssssssssssss, BOOM... We broke all the nuts in about twenty minutes doing it this way... The MAN got Skills.... Try to swing a 20 lb sledge while hanging from a rope 30 feet up a vertical cliff, and not miss or throw the sledge at someone...

He is an assistant driller, and came by to check up on me...He and I have managed to work together on three different rigs in three different parts of the world. When the big white thing is on the deck, it's 16 to 60 hour days, and relentless work. We pretty much dismantle the thing and rebuild it. We were getting close to putting it back in the water when this one was taken. Our stack is over 50 feet tall and weighs in at a hefty 450,000 lbs. Yup, it's a buggar to move... but we manage...

The Fugly glasses are mine only when I am on the rig... They make us wear whatever they provide here in country... and we dont get fitted for them or anything else, we just send in a prescription and are stuck with whatever they send... %^&%^&%^&* They are prescription bifocals, and those that wear those probably understand how hard it is to get them fitted properly when you can sit in the chair with a professional...

The second pic is a beautiful thing, It's the freedom bird that takes us home... Four weeks later it's the eff'in bird, that takes us to work...and yes, those are some pretty rough seas in the background...
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote