View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Holy crap what a night

For all of my bitterness lately, a good night should not go un-noticed.

Took the family to their first ballgame tonight. Indians are in town and last night they stomped on the Rays bad. It was embarrassing. But I got 4 tickets in decent outfield seats for about $70 and just had to go for it tonight in hopes that would do better....

I could type up the game summary but there are paid professionals for that sorta thing...

Quote:
ST. PETERSBURG -- In thrilling fashion, the Rays defeated the Indians, 8-7, in front of 25,827 fans at Tropicana Field on Friday.

Right fielder Ben Zobrist, who entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the sixth, helped eliminate a 7-0 deficit with a game-tying home run off reliever Rafael Betancourt to lead off the eighth.

B.J. Upton's walk-off home run against Indians reliever Luis Vizcaino completed the largest comeback victory in Rays history.

The comeback was made possible by Tampa Bay relievers Lance Cormier, Troy Percival, J.P. Howell and Dan Wheeler, who held the Indians scoreless on one hit over the final 5 2/3 innings. Scott Kazmir, Tampa Bay's all-time leader in victories and a two-time All-Star at age 25, was replaced in the fourth inning.

Kazmir's short night started poorly, with Cleveland's Grady Sizemore launching the third pitch of the game into the right-field bleachers for a leadoff home run.

Things got worse from there for Kazmir, who lasted a season-low 3 1/3 innings and allowed a season-high seven earned runs on 10 hits and four walks. He is 1-2 with a 12.91 ERA in his past four starts.
In summary, the Rays were getting stomped 7-0 early and they chipped away at it inning by inning and ended up winning with our lead-off man FINALLY breaking his awful slump and hitting his first HR of the season...about 6 rows over from where we were sitting. It was epic. My son had his cowbell and was going nuts with it and had so many old ladies cooing over him that he got a ball from one of them! So he got his first Major League ballpark ball tonight in his first game.

My throat is killing me from the screaming, but we got to see the Rays perform their best comeback victory in their short history so the pain is well worth it. I'm still winding down from the adrenaline or I'd be in bed. I have to take the 6 year old to a girl scouts trip at 8 AM so sleep is ripping into my psyche quickly. Just wanted to share some fun times.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290515130 <--the ESPN recap with video. I tried to see us but couldn't...oh well, I'll upload pics tomorrow.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote