View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #18
Soyuz100

Drives: Chevy Truck
This problem is most likely caused by the shifter linkage being set "too tight". I am putting the 6L80E into my truck, using the stock Camaro floor shifter. When I set the linkage too tight, the shifter does not move forward enough to allow the shifter detent lock to completely engage the limit switch in the parking detent slot. This limit switch is what activates the lock in the steering column to release the key. If the shifter detent lock does not close the park position limit switch, the key can not be removed from the cylinder.

To fix this, go under the car and re-adjust the shifter rod into the arm of the floor shifter. The procedure is to put the shifter / transmission into park. Under the car, loosen the retainer bolt where the shifter rod engages the floor shifter so the rod slides free. Now, pull the trans lever rearward (but do this very lightly), then tighten the retainer bolt.

The problem is caused when too much rearward force is applied to the trans shifter arm (or the floor shifter arm is pushed towards the front of the vehicle) before tightening the retainer bolt. If this happens, there is not enough slack in the linkage to allow the shifter to move fully into the park position, especially when everything is very cold.
Soyuz100 is offline   Reply With Quote