View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
Could you elaborate on this? Why is an M6 hard to launch and why is it more difficult with a twin disc?

(I ask because I'm trying to accomplish similar goals as the OP. I've never put my car on a dragstrip.)
What's a 2 step?
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
M6es are much harder to launch than an auto and, unless you are very good, less consistent too. With an auto its mostly figuring out the load you can put on the tires at launch and let the car do the rest. With the M6 it's slipping the clutch, how hard you can hit 2nd, the elusive clean 2-3 shift, and when you shift each gear. Potentially the M6 is faster with a more efficient drive train, but in the real world it's no contest.

I have only had experience with 2 twin disc clutches. They both had a less progressive engagement than a single disc. I had my best 60's on the stock SS clutch while it lasted.

The 2 step has electronic aids to let you build boost on the line with a manual sort of like how you can load the engine with an auto by holding the brake with your foot, but on the 2 step no brake involved.

Turbos make the whole launching thing even harder with a weak low rpm HP and lack of immediate boost even with a higher RPM without a load.

My experience with a 625 rwhp (@ 10.1 pounds, stock LS3) M6 twin turbo was 125-127 mph with upper mid to high 11 second ETs. Wiith a stock clutch I could get low 1.7 60's on NT555Rs, and with the twin discs The best I could do was 1.8nn 60's on MT Street ET Streets. Both of those DRs were 18x305 on fairly light TSW wheels.

Mt best time was 11.4 with a high 1.8 60'. If I could have gotten a 1.6 which some can do with an M6, I could have run 11.0s possibly. But that car is gone now.

Now trying to get my M6 ZL1 into the 11s. Although this has been done a couple of times with an M6, I don't have the patience. The DRs are going on. The ZL1 has a nice stock clutch, its a shame you can't put one on an LS3. They say it holds 700 RWHP.