View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Haha...

302S/R are pure, no VIN race cars. Sold through Ford parts dept. Cool cars. Cooler if you install some decent brakes (because the stock brakes are horribly undersized lol...) and a Watts Link rear suspension. I looked very seriously at buying one this time last year, was going to sink additional $9k into suspension, and another $8k into a set of real brakes (PITA ass to upgrade though). That results in an approx $107,000 302S. Plus tax of course.

A different opportunity came up so I passed on the 302S allocation a dealer offered me. Nifty cars, good looking, there is value there for certain drivers. I've always liked the fact Ford even offers such a thing as a part department bought race car.

So with that preface to my comments I find the odd thing about the gentleman posting on the other forum, and he does come across as credible because he is generally well-spoken, is he does not grasp that the Z/28 is a Street toy/out-of-the-box ready HPDE car.

Not a race car, like the 302S/R are.

Chalk and cheese.

Now I know some on here have thought the Z/28 is a race car and might race in some series somewhere, or whatever. It is not, it won't, nor is it anywhere close. It is mental masturbation to think otherwise.

It will be an incredible HPDE/Track day ready car capable of terrorizing $150k GT3RS's and a super-visceral road legal weekend fun machine. It'll be incredibly fun for short trips on the street, and even better, a perfect arrive and drive track day toy. The brakes/cooler/dry sump will give it the ability to play hard and still live to play another day, and another, and another, etc. And if it comes in at $65-70k'ish, an incredible value for what it offers.

And for HPDE/PDX track days, and even SCCA Time Trials, there is nothing "illegal" about any car (well, as long as it passes tech inspection for safety). How do I know? I've participated in them for years and am a currently licensed SCCA PDX/TT driving instructor. So I'm not just jacking off my synapses, I actually live the dream

Different strokes for different folks. We are all so fortunate to live at a time and in a place where we have these amazing fun cars available to buy "off-the-shelf". It is a wonderful time to be alive.

I'm super stoked to take delivery next year of the Z/28 I placed a deposit on and signed a purchase order for the week after they were announced.

Relax...enjoy...