View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
New Build - front/rear stage, and subs.

So I've been in the stereo/system 'hobby' for almost a decade at this point. I haven't really invested much money in speakers as I have subwoofers, and I am seeking to change that. I recently sold my 05 TrailBlazer that had an RE XXX 18 in it for my new Camaro. I love bass, it adds depth to music and is an absolute necessity for me. I have another thread about subs as I was debating, but not many people apparently run Fi or RE in their camaros...lots of JL Audio fans, not downing that brand by any means but Fi and RE will consistently beat JL Audio in most SPL/SQL comp's given all conditions are the same (wattage, sub size, impedance, box size, vehicle, etc.)

I'm probably going to go with this head unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lOUPJGc...H-P9400BH.html

New Car:

Old System:

So, you see where I'm coming from!

My goal: Loud, Clear, Crisp system that will sound good no matter what type of music is played. If it's ambient-type music like Atticus Ross I want it to be so loud and clear you can hear every instrument, but at the same time if I switch to some jeezy or 50 I want to be able to hit the lows with ease. Midbass is very important to me, so speakers lacking decent midbass will not be considered (doors and trunk will be sound-deadened)

Front Stage: I keep hearing Hertz. Hertz this, Hertz that - particularly the HSK165's/XL. This is in my price range, but I'm not sure if there is something from FOCAL that would compare to these as well (6.5 components). Recommendations welcome, better if you've heard them/have them.

Rear Stage: 6x9's. I have absolutely no idea where to begin, but I would like to match the front stage with the rear stage brand-wise.

Subs: Looking to go with 2 12's, probably sealed (yeah, loss in SPL but sound quality also usually goes up)

2 Fi BL's
or
2 RE SE-X's (or similar)

These brands have consistently good reviews, and on WoofersETC the prices on the RE models have dropped since 07 (thank god!) If you have any experience with the Fi BL's (12's) or the new RE series (like the SEX model line or something similar), chime in. Keep in mind I ran an XXX 18" for 4 years.

Price-wise, I'm not spending 2 grand on 1 set of speakers. I'd like to keep the cost under $1000 for both front and rear stage, with more $$ being spent on the front stage.

So, let's see your recommendations!
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote