View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
The paint the factory applies does not have to cure.
First off, it's a different mixture than what a body shop uses. I think there is no catalyst in the factory's paint.
Secondly, it's baked at like 375 degrees for a few hours. It's totally cured by the time it comes out of the oven.

Here's a neat tidbit. Most cars don't come out perfect after they've been painted at the factory. There can be foreign material trapped in it, or maybe water or oil dripped onto the surface. The small imperfections can be fixed on one of the inspection decks in the paint shop. Slightly larger paint errors can be repaired in the paint department on a secondary line.
And if there are too many problems with the paint, they send it right back to the booth. No sanding, no prep (other than tacking it off), no nothing. They just spray right over the existing paint.
They get 3 tries to get good results. If they can't get it right, the shell is stripped of anything useful (doors, fender, etc) and the shell is scrapped.
That's how my plant works. I don't know about GM. They'll probably come on here and deny it.
very interesting~
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote