Thread: Z/28 tires...
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Small price to pay if you can afford the car and actually use it (AKA competition use). The Z/28 will probably hang with the Z06/Z07 (with Cup tires) on most road courses.....maybe even the ZR1. The stock Z/28 tires are a big reason for this.
I agree. The new generation of DOT Track Tires (Dunlop SportMaxx, Pilot Sport Cup, P-Zero Trofeo R, etc.) are incredible. I agree with the earlier post about the necessity of having two sets of wheels/tires. From my experience that makes things a lot easier, and ensures the longevity of the track set.

When it comes to cost, on my last track car I could usually get 5-7 track days out of the tires. I felt it was worth the expense, as the tires helped transform the car.

The Z/28 is designed around these tires. I'm sure it will still do great on something like a Pilot Super Sport (I haven't checked available sizes on that), but it will really shine on the Trofeo Rs. I'm going to see how this goes, expense-wise. If my intuition is correct and the Z/28 results in me doubling my track time, then I may have to rethink my tire budget...

You gotta love First World problems like these, eh?