View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #284
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
I wanted to keep this thread going by asking you guys some questions. After doing even further research, I guess now I'm trying to figure out WHY is it that guys even buy a Camaro V8 in the first place? Is the "V8 Or Go Home" Mentality really based on something of value or is it just non-sense?

Let's break this down.

1.) They Claim The V8 Has Better Resale Value

The 2010 Camaro SS came out with a price tag of about $31,000 in 2009/2010.
The 2010 Camaro V6 came out with a price tag of about $23,000 in 2009/2010.

I ran a Kelly Blue Book on both today, with 40,000 miles on them and in Excellent Condition:

- The Camaro V8 comes out to a trade in value of $20,111

- The Camaro V6 comes out to a trade in value of $14,645

This means that give or take, both lost about $10,000 between 2010 - today in terms of dropping from their original purchase price. So when people are saying the V8 holds its value, what are they talking about?? It's doing like every other CAR does, which is rapidly depreciate because a car is a depreciating asset.

2.) They Claim The V8 Is Significantly Faster Than The V6s

When you look up the V6 Camaros at about 330 HP and the V8 Camaros at about 420 HP, do you know what this comes out to in terms of performance? The V6 goes from 0 - 60 in about 6 seconds with quarter-mile time of about 14.2 seconds, and the V8 goes from 0 - 60 in about 5 seconds with quarter-mile time of 13 seconds.

So wait a minute here.

You mean to tell me people are spending $13,000 - $15,000 more for "performance" that's only 1 second faster in the 0 - 60 category and only about 1 second faster in the quarter-mile??

3.) They Claim V6s Are Slow

I don't know about you, but how in the hell does going from 0 - 60 in 6 seconds equate to SLOW in any regard? 0 - 60 in 6 seconds is fast as all hell.

4.) They Claim The V8s Look Better

You can modify your Camaro with accessories to honestly make it look however you want. The bodies of all packages look relatively the same but you can always modify your exterior and interior.

5.) They Claim The Camaro Has Always Been A V8

There's been a V6 option for the Camaro since 1982 with the Third Generation Camaros. The Camaro has not always been a V8 option.

6.) They Say The V8 Has A Better Sound

This is the ONLY valid argument here in my opinion. But is it WORTH IT to pay $13,000 - $15,000 more for the V8 sound, or how about you just do what I'm going to do and add an MRTv2 exhaust to eliminate the V6 stock sound and replace it with a muscle tone?

I don't know, it seems to me that V8 Camaro guys are wasting $13,000 plus on a car that isn't significantly better than the V6 Camaro. But maybe I'm wrong. The ONLY thing I see that's significantly better with the V8 is the sound, but paying $13,000 MORE for that sound?? I don't think that makes any sense when again, you can MODIFY your car to add better exhaust packages to provide a much better sound than Stock.

What do you guys think about this?
I think nobody says....

I have a fake Camaro
- Only the V8 Camaro is the real Camaro
- Why would you even drive that?
- You are a homosexual and you don't have any balls
- Make sure you wear a dress when you drive that V6 around
- What? I didn't know a Camaro could have only 6 cylinders, this fool has an imposter Camaro!

And I sure as shit ain't depressed about my car! $13,000 well spent bitch.