View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
1985airborne
One Slow Automatic

Drives: 2017 GS 2010 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Any good local machine shop should give you the skinny on if its worth it. I bought my short block from Jerry at SAG performance group its called custom engine supply it sells strokers on E Bay, the shipping was free and they are in Indiana in Angola and they may get a price break, but your good parts you got could get cleaned up with bearings and put into a engine. It may not be that bad to some but I have tossed a old chevy freshly bored .030 over 400 because it had a bad lifter bore...it ate a cam..... SO parts went into another block.. And its hard to find good 400's even twenty years ago being that it was so good for torque for a SBC....

You have good parts so that's a good chunk of the cost, I paid 5 grand for a forged 428 with the rear seals etc all done up right but $2500 is for the crank and pistons and con rods, the rest clearancing, balancing, bearings, seals , assembly, and shipping etc... So you may have 80k on the engine or reading you say 28 boosted of the 50k ish which is a case of failure down the road. Lifter fell apart? did it wear into the cam in other places or simple lifter fail? I use driven racing oil and use the br30 for a double break in and ls30 for life..... I would of course ditch that cylinders rocker, and of course new pushrods and lifters all around with new trays head bolts.... it adds up. DO a good break in and still things can fail.... Shame. Good Luck anyway. Keep us up dated in the long run, though threads do have a way of getting old fast in other places on the forum and moving down the list..
Well the lifter failed causing it to eat the very first lobe of the cam up...the push rod is a manley 7.4 not bent either...i stop driving it once i heard the valve wasnt opening. I have Johnson link bar lifters now....so hopefully nomore hickups..I didnt have a oil cooler either..now i do.