View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #113
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I know this was addressed towards thahemp, but I feel inclined to comment. I personally can recognize when I don't fully know or understand something. But I also am a creature of passion. Sometimes, I do things solely because I enjoy the thought of it. I understand that I could possibly lose some hp and/or tq by modifying up to a full 3 inch. But for some reason, I just want a full 3 inch system. If I were to definitely lose a significant amount of power, and if that could be undeniably proven, then I would refrain. But the way I see it, there is no significant losses if any losses at all. There are lots of calculations and math to help decide appropriate diameter as we have seen from several members. But sometimes, real world gains vary widely from what you would expect from paper calculations. I feel that a full 3 inch exhaust that eliminates the HF cats will give me a worthwhile boost. And if I'm wrong, then I can always return it to the way it currently sits...no harm done.
Thanks, and appreciate your reply. Its all good, and go for whatcha know and enjoy! BTW, my original post is not based on engine math or engine simulation, it comes from real world results (race only cars using mufflers due to imposed track noise limits). Admittedly not on the Gen5 Camaro platform, but on very similar platforms, meaning V8 engines, headers, mufflers. Biggest gain I ever saw was almost 30 in TQ (28 ft-lb IIRC?). That was a very large cube dragster using a 1/2" neck down at the end of the collectors to create the isolation point or choke point if you will, then into the mufflers. No way a typical Camaro build is going to get anywhere near that much of a gain.

None of this is to be confused with "backpressure". Its mostly about having the proper velocity in the system.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote