View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #44
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
That depends on what your evaluating. If your evaluating an individual's career, like we are, then why would you use a team accomplishment over an individual accomplishment?

Simple, you wouldn't.
"team accomplishment over an individual accomplishment?" Is it possible to seperate these two... really...??? Barry Sanders is as close to a one man team as I ever witnessed, and he only won a co-MVP in 1997...Yet he was a ten time pro bowler, and missed by ten yards the League Rushing title in his rookie year... He didn't win more MVP's because he had nothing around him to speak of...IMO

Despite the loss in the Superbowl yesterday, Manning has still moved up on my personal list... as has Brees, though Manning is still far ahead of Brees.

I tried to factor in some of the intangibles in my list, but you bring up the MVP vs Championships... Super Bowls etc...

MVP, most valuable player... a comparison against the other players....
on his team, in the conference, in the league... subjective

Superbowls, a comparison of the same in direct head to head competition... objective

Terry Bradshaw won four superbowls, and won back to back Superbowl MVP's, something only previously done by Bart Starr... QB's are often too much in the limelight... and get too much credit for failures and accomplishments... Barry Sanders won the League MVP one time, in 1997, and depending on whom you talk to that was a co-mvp award... I feel that is a travesty... Why did he not win more MVP's... because his team never amounted to much...they never got to the big show while he was there, does that make him less of a player, nope, just unlucky in some peoples eyes...If Indy wasn't going so deep in the playoffs every year, Manning wouldn't be getting the recognition he is...

Yes he is a GREAT player, but there is a tremendous line, backs, and defense around him, an intangible is that he is part of the influence that makes those others better, IMO, but there it is...

This is how I considered Terry Bradshaw and the others on "my" list... all in all, it's an opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own...

As for Superbowl MVP's... how about Garrett Hartley... yup, three field goals over 40 yards in his first appearance, kept the Saints within reach, upon the scoreboard and in their heads until the rest of the team could get their act together...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote