View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 09:50 PM   #15
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
I guess you have not been watching Barrett Jackson that has been on tv the last few days.
That's not a large enough statistical sample to say one way or another on car price trends. Although there are some doofuses that see something go across the stage on TV for whatever price and then think their 80K mile car is worth the same thing. Seen it too many times.

In the big scheme of things, ZL1s were made in enough numbers to still find one for a decent price if you really want to dig for it. But as with anything, the more people wrap them around trees and blow them up, attrition takes its toll. And the ones that are left will fetch better money than a used up POS. But in all honesty, the market will get a bit softer before it gets stronger. People pay more for groceries nowdays than they do car payments.

The EV market is already saturating, at least for now, and those people with extra cash are buying stuff faster at BJ's than they are from the EV dealerships. Don't believe me, just look around. Cart before horse. Ford's cutting back, Dodge is all but confirming ICE Chargers, and all the while, Cadillac is going to have its azz hanging out in the wind soon. I think Mary really wants to sink some ships. I'll have to dig up the old thread where I said to mark it on the calendar a while back about the slowdown. And wait for the layoffs that are coming. Hate to see it, but it will happen. Not using an "all the above approach" model is going to hit at least one of these companies hard.

And for the truth, the majority of those with disposable cash are the ones buying EVs (and not one person I know that has an EV bought it as their only vehicle). Joe Paycheck is not buying them, and is not planning to, apparently. Idiots who forced this mess on us are finally learning that in the end, the consumer will dictate which products succeed and which ones do not. A used EV will be about as worthless as an AM radio. The minute I see an EV at Barrett Jackson, I'm done. I've owned a lot of cars that could be beaten by something else. Big deal. Cars were supposed to be flying by now, as it is. Whatever happened to that?

But enough about EVs, as they don't even factor in to this discussion anyway. Nobody can look cool driving an EV, anyway. You just can't. If you think you do, might want to reassess that. Sure, they have a purpose. A to B, but not in the very cold temps apparently. That's it.

Although it's real tough to tell what's in store for used muscle, I still think a well-taken care of 5th gen ZL1 will still have value. Everyone thought the same about 4th gen SS's too, but now look at what people are selling them for. About 10 years ago, you could get a nice low mile one for around 12-13. Now they're 25K and up. That's why I sold mine in 2013 for 11,500.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote