Thread: What If?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #11
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Who is this? Is this a test? Dragoneye....?

LOL

With the gas prices as they are, how can we argue and like someone said when faced with "change or die" I also vote for CHANGE!!!!

BUT, this is where my friend dragon and me don't see eye to eye. I still think you can make a 2+2 light enough that GM's lovely V8 can hit 28mpg in the highway like I know the Vette can do (new EPA be damned).

Not to go off on the weight again, but my whole purpose and lust for the new Camaro was not just the looks but the dream I've had all my life of owning an American V8 (mainly, the lovely GM V8).

GM has been doing such a great job lately but there are two grips I have with them with the latest cars they have made me lust after.

G8
Camaro

No stick in the G8 GT (a young dad wanted a V8 RWD sports sadan) and, the handicap of the Camaro's weight on an otherwise VERY efficient V8.

So, I lust....I mean look at the Camaro (no, I mean lust who am I kidding) and think to myself if the dream of the V8 is dead then why go after it when the car you just mentioned...

Quote:
"...and I mentioned in another thread that the Genises coupe got me thinking"
(YOU SAID IT NO ME, LOL)

...will give me RWD, good looks, good space inside, safety, options up the YING YANG, 306-310HP of 3545 pounds of economical (Genesis sadan with the same engine gets 18/27 while weighing 300 more pounds) goodness.

Sure, it's good looking but not good looking like the Camaro but if my dream centered around keeping the Camaro forever with maybe one of the last V8's made (non-hybrid) might be dead then why bother with the Camaro and its almost useless rear seats?

Why, cause I like GM?
Because I love the Camaro?
To be made more uncomfortable with my family/son?
To probably pay more!
To probably get worse fuel economy with gas at $4+ per gallon!

So...as much as I'd want it, is it the right and wise choice for me?

I bring this up in this thread dragon, because I think you are right in thinking about all of this. NO DOUBT, GM nailed the looks and apparently the quality and V6 engine but in the market we are in is the Camaro going to be a stillborn because it's arrived about 5 years too late?

So again, my vote is for change rather than death for the Camaro. I don't want to lose the V8 but more efficient packaging (weight/size/etc) might be what is needed.

I might get flamed over this, but you have to think about the long term life of the Camaro if you really love it...and I do.