View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #5720
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well right now there are too many things self driving cars can’t do and nobody knows how they can get them to operate under all conditions. Yeah they are making progress but it is going to take a long time. There is also going to have to be some way that traffic signals and warning signs can communicate with the cars. They cannot rely on cameras radar or gps to see a stoplight that has burned out, or obscured by sunlight or had a power failure. Also construction zones where the speed limit drops fom 70 to 40 and many other instances that will have to be handled that a human driver can do.
Human mistakes are human mistakes, but humans learn from their mistakes. Unless self driving cars have some sort of Artificial Intelligence where they learn they will be prone to make the same mistakes over and over.
Some humans make the same mistakes over and over too. See anyone with multiple DUIs, driving with a suspended license, or is un-insurable due to numerous write-offs.

A person can learn from their own mistake, but sometimes they don't. Maybe their they are stubborn, or arrogant. Maybe they got killed in the accident and are therefore unable to use their newfound knowledge of what not to do. And a human driver will seldom learn from the mistakes that others make.

With self driving cars, the engineers designing the systems will be learning from countless mistakes and shortcomings of the entire fleet of vehicles. They then improve the next generation system based on that knowledge. Repeat.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote