View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
GM changed retail to around $50,000. No one would pay $50,000 for a used one when a new one was $50,000. People have no idea what this car is and think the ZL1 is better. I get asked every time I take the car some where why I did not get a ZL1 and how much HP does the ZL1 have. It will take a while for these cars to recover.

GM's marketing on these cars flat sucked and trashed the sales.

I've never had anyone suggest that the ZL1 is better, but am sure there are plenty who believe it due to significantly higher HP and Torque numbers.

A lot people dumped these cars w/ very low mileage (way too hard core for most...), which def hurt sales of new cars. Why pay $75K when you could get one w/ 500 miles for $20k less (or even less). Also, at end of 2015, GM provided incentives that allowed dealers to sell them at deep discounts. Again, that hurt future new car sales unless dealers were willing to take a hit and sell at a discount.

Add to that the fact that everyone was talking about how hard core it is. That alone scared off plenty of folks. Almost kept me from buying one. Even Fbodfather came on here and emphatically told people that it wasn't a street car. So much misinformation... I remember people talking about CCBs costing $20K and only lasting 25k miles or something ridiculous.

In the end all of this will just add to it's legend.