View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #72
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Advancing the timing does mean beginning the burn before TDC. So by the time the piston is passing TDC the majority of fuel is burning.

It isn't as if all the fuel explodes in an instant. One of the most important aspects in engine design is the burn pattern. Air and fuel are still being introduced to the chamber when ignition begins and the way it swirls determines the rate and efficiency of the burn. Higher octanes burn slower and thus ignition can begin earlier. This allows more of the fuel to burn, thus increasing power and MPGs.

Anyway, with direct injection, the computer controls when and how much fuel is introduced along with the spark timing. Thus detonation can be avoided by delaying the introduction of fuel. But this means there is less time to add fuel and still expect it to burn effectively. Resulting in lower power and lower MPGs.

The main way to control the burn and the way the air/fuel moves involves the shape and length of the intake and exhaust ports, the placement and size of the valves, the rate and height and time at which valves open and close, the size and shape of the combustion chamber, etc.

And that is a simple explanation

As you can see, it is quite involved and it used to be all trial and error. With the advent of super computers and dynamic equations much of the guess work can be avoided, but it still comes down to building and testing, tweaking, repeating.

Of course, cost and reliability are always factors affecting the final product. There comes a point of return on investment. The masses do not want to spend another $1,000 on a car for 0.1 more MPG or 1 more HP.

Thanks. I knew there would be someone nearby that knew more about this than I did. I reckon I never really thought about the "Direct Injection" part and still had it in my mind the air and fuel both were passing through the intake valve and what you said changed that perception. All that's passing the intake valve is air and the mixing of fuel with air occurs in the cylinder. Used to be timing only referred to ignition spark. Now it can refer to spark + fuel + valves and other things I'm unaware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenotti View Post
No rambling at all! I always thought advancing the timing would "increase" horsepower to a point.

11.5 to 1 is a high ratio, so by this logic alone - it should probably use higher octane.
Yeah, I probably should've adhered to the rule from my bike. It has 9.5:1 ratio and baldy states in the manual to put no less than 93 in it. If you can't get 93 the manual states to pour in octane booster. I'll look tonight That's what I get for trying to save a buck or two. I don't think I'll go back to putting 87 in it, even after the "study" is done.