View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #422
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITMerc View Post
No problem, it is hard to tell much of anything once we get past the person taking the side shot video.
Nothing against Robert OR his car but everything else being equal its extremely hard for a manual tranny car to be quicker than a car using something like a 4L80 or Turbo400. There are of course ways to mitigate the loss of boost and forward thrust between gears but the reality is it puts them at a disadvantage vs a car that doesn't have those inherent problems. For a turbo car like we both have launching off a transbrake at full throttle then never having to lift to shift and never losing forward thrust for the ENTIRE race simply equates to quicker and more consistent ET's and makes it MUCH easier to make a really nice launch. I lose some MPH out the back end compared to a manual since the Turbo400 torque converter doesn't lock up, with a 4L80 you get that back but lose the transbrake launch. They all have their benefits/drawbacks and there are guys/cars that do a really good job getting the max out of their manual tranny! For me the difference was night and day and while I DID enjoy my old manual on the street the benefits from the 4L80 or Turbo400 are hard to argue with at the strip and I'm starting to enjoy it on the street too.
Throw in there as well that I'm running 3.07 gears, since the car was built for the mile, not the quarter... Still fun none the less... And I have a grand total of ten launches on my car... I've also run a 10.92 my first time out with a bad launch... So... With the "two years of this challenge being bantered" though my car has only had twins for about 15 or 16 months, maybe some day I'll be able to crawl back from the dead...

Wanna go a mile...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote