View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The issue of XA settings came up in the latest GM High Tech Magazine.

GM High Tech Mag put Pedders XA coilovers and Nitto NT05R tires on their shop car and it ran slower (on average) than it did stock around the road course. They admitted they needed more time to try to dial in the coilover settings. But the fact that the car felt unstable and ran slower than stock proves a major point. You can't just throw XA coils on your car and expect it to perform better than stock.

I really don't think the basic XA coils are the best setup for a serious racer. They'll will work fine for someone wanting to lower their vehicle for daily driving, but I'd invest in something else if you're really into road course type racing.
Ha Ha Ha. Actually it goes deeper than that. Pedders XA are not bad at all. Here is the thing and it is why I just bought the Pirelli 295-35-20 a few days ago to replace the Nitto NT05. Nitto NT05 are really you get what you pay for tire and is W rated(168mph). I had to pump the Nittos to 48 psi in order to match the Pirellis 36 psi. You can't put stiff coilovers on a car and then put soft sidewall tires on the car and expect the car to perform well. My car now with the stiff Eibach R1 are no longer the weak point like the stock suspension, the Nitto NT-05s are. For drag racing good tire, for road course on a 3800lb car with stiff is heck coilover setting not good. If you are running stiff track like coilover settings you also need a tire that can handle the pressure because as the suspension gets stiffer the tire becomes the weak point , that's why the car GM used handled worse than stock but if they had put a DOT rated tire on the car like a Hoosier brand tire then the results would've slaughtered the stock time. This is the exact same issue I am now having and is why my front Hankook tires are on their way off my front rims as well as the Nitto NTO5s. Michelin Super Sports are on their way in.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote